Flood waters

The Association of British Insurers (ABI) is warning homeowners and firms hit by flooding to be aware of ‘Flood Exploiters’:

  • Tradespeople offering to carry out quick repairs. These may not be to a decent standard. Your home insurer will arrange any repairs to be carried out by reputable tradespeople.
  • Loss assessors or claims management firms offering to take on your insurance claim and deal with the insurance company on your behalf. Always speak to your insurer first, understand the fees and charges of a loss assessor or claims management firm, and never be pressured into signing anything. Using one of these firms should not be necessary as insurers are dealing with flood claims as a priority. Loss assessors should not be confused with loss adjusters, who work for the insurance company in assessing your claim and arranging repairs.


Commenting from Carlisle, the ABI’s Manager, General Insurance, Mark Shepherd, said:

“Sadly there will always be some people who will look to exploit people’s flood misery. The top priority for home or business insurers is to help and support customers through this difficult time, so let them take charge.

“By making emergency payments, arranging temporary accommodation or trading premises, and starting the drying out and repair process as soon as possible, insurers are doing everything possible to help people recover.”

The ABI has produced a guide: ‘Responding to Major Floods’ (pdf 2MB) to help guide people through claiming following a flood, including the drying out and restoration process. More information can be found in the Flooding section, including what to consider when thinking about using a loss assessor or a claims management company.